Developed by i-Sustain and underwritten by scan/design Foundation, the study tour examines Urban Sustainability: Bicycling lessons from Denmark. It includes site visits, presentations, and of course, touring the city by bicycle.
Increasingly, American cities realize that bicycling can and should be a significant part of transportation planning, but few electeds or planners know how to get from 1-2% commuting rate to the Danish experience of +37%. Topics on the study tour will include:
- urban and suburban bicycle planning for commuting
- prioritizing bicycles over cars
- design of bicycle infrastructure including intersections, cycle paths and lanes, signals, signs and parking
- public campaigns and marketing
- bicycle safety
- bicycle path maintenance
- bicycle-specific technologies
- financial incentives for bicycle commuting
The study tour will be the easy part: applying the lessons from Copenhagen to Seattle and Washington cities will be the challenge and one the Bicycle Alliance will take as part of our Strategic Plan action plans.